Thursday, February 3, 2011

A random collection of things

Because it has been several days since I last posted, and I have things I wanted to share from several different occasions, this is going to kind of be a random post of different pictures and videos. I'll start with the oldest set. This past Saturday night Seth and his mom Michele came over and brought us dinner. We had a delicious meal of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, baked beans, mac and cheese (very appreciated since neither of the kids really care much for mashed potatoes), and cookies. Before we ate they stayed for a little while so the kids could have a chance to play. Nikki, David, and Crissie were also there visiting for a little while, and Asher and Seth sure had a blast wrestling with David. It was so funny!




The boys were hugging on each other in this picture, but for some reason Blogger keeps wanting to turn it. I guess it thinks Seth is standing up and not lying down so it automatically turns it.





These were taken tonight of the kids. Asher's pictures make me smile. In the first one I just told him to smile so he did, but as you can see his eyes are all squinted. So I told him to smile and open his eyes, and the second picture is what I got. His smile came out funny looking as he tried to concentrate on keeping those eyes opened. :)






The kids are really in to singing duets together lately. Asher usually does a better job singing by himself (Lorelai singing the wrong words kind of throws him off, I guess), but they still love singing together, and I love hearing it. Lorelai absolute loves when Asher starts singing and never misses the chance to join him whether she knows the song or not. Here are two videos of them singing together. They don't really know either song great yet, but Asher can sing them better normally. I'm happier, though, with them singing OK together rather than singing perfectly separately!




I also thought I'd throw this in before I finished my post tonight. I have SO many people (including some of my blog readers) ask me if I have a cerclage (stitch that keeps my cervix closed) or if I'm going to get one. The answer has always been no, I don't have one, and no, I don't think I'll be getting one. I've never really known the answer to the next question, though, which is "Why?" Getting a cerclage has always been something that has been discussed by doctors but never done, and I finally found out why when I saw my new perinatologist on Tuesday. He told me that the reason I'm considered a bad candidate for a cerclage is that they can actually do me more harm than good. I do obviously have a weak cervix (whether it's incompetent or not is unknown for sure), but I also have a big problem with having too many contractions early on. The cerclage is good for people with only a weak cervix because their cervix shortens without contractions. They don't have a problem with early contractions. Mine, on the other hand, shortens without the contractions, but it also shortens when I have a bunch. Putting a stitch in to help keep the cervix closed can be dangerous for someone with a lot of contractions because it can irritate the uterus further and cause even more contractions. I'm glad to finally know why I can't get a cerclage. The peri also told me that if I did decide to ever get one I'd still have to be on bed rest because the contractions would obviously be much worse if I continued normal activity.

Since I'm on the subject I'll also post a quick update on how the appointment went. I really liked the peri I saw and feel confident in his plan of action for Micah and me. Last Thursday my cervix measured 3.1 cm when resting with no pressure on it, and on Tuesday it measured 2.5 cm when resting with no pressure. So it shortened 0.6 cm in 5 days. Bed rest is stricter for me now, but I do still have daily shower privileges so I can't complain too much. :) I see my OB on the 10th (next Thursday) for another ultrasound scan and visit.

No comments: